One should avoid checking phones before hitting the bed.
Insomnia increases the risk of diseases like high BP, obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease.
It is very important to have good sleep and follow a balanced diet to stay fit. Sleep helps in recovery and better development of our body. This is the reason why every person is advised to sleep for at least 7-8 hours at night. Sometimes, when we are not able to sleep properly at night, problems like fatigue and headache can trouble us. Not only this, being a victim of insomnia increases the risk of diseases like high BP, obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. Do you know that there are some habits that can also lead to insomnia? Today, let us learn about these from Dr Amitesh Aggarwal, Medicine Unit Head, GTB Hospital, Delhi.
1. Do not use mobile: Avoid working on a smartphone, laptop, or iPad after lying in bed at night. Also, do not make the mistake of messaging a friend or family member or becoming a part of a group chat, just before going to sleep. By doing this, you will not be able to fall asleep quickly, which may affect the sleep cycle.
2. Consumption of tea and coffee: A lot of individuals like to drink tea and coffee right before bed. It is one of the wrong things to do. As caffeine is present in tea and coffee, it keeps the brain awake. This is the reason why one should avoid taking tea, coffee, chocolate, cola, soda, or energy drinks after dinner at night.
3. Avoid exercise: It’s best to avoid working out right before hitting the bed. In fact, when we work out before bed, our bodies and minds are highly stimulated. This can take away the sleep. One should try to workout in the morning or evening.
4. Sleeping immediately after studying: Sleeping immediately after studying at night can also make one a victim of insomnia. When one goes to sleep immediately after studying, the mind remains engrossed in the same work even while sleeping. One should try to complete their important work a little before sleeping and then go to sleep.
5. Do not drink alcohol: According to experts, one may fall asleep quickly after drinking alcohol. They may have to face problems like restlessness and frequent opening of the eyes during sleep. Along with this, one should avoid eating anything heavy before sleeping or late at night. It can provide energy to the body and activate the brain.