A fire blasted through a building housing workers in Kuwait early Wednesday, killing at least 41 people, according to officials. The inferno looked to be caused by code violations, stated a report by the Associated Press. 

According to the AP report, during a visit to the site, Interior Minister Sheikh Fahad Al-Yousuf Al-Sabah confirmed the death toll and ordered the building`s owner`s arrest.

According to reports, a large number of labourers were living in the block in the southern Mangaf district without providing their nationalities. However, other media reports stated, the building housed Indian labourers as well and nearly 30 of them had been injured by the fire. 

Minister of External Affairs S Jaishankar, speaking about the Kuwait building fire, said that he was shocked by the news of the deaths and said, “Deepest condolences to the families of those who tragically lost their lives. Wish early and full recovery to those who have been injured. Our Embassy will render the fullest assistance to all concerned in this regard.”

Kuwait, like other Persian Gulf countries, has a large community of migrant workers who far outnumber the local population. The nation of some 4.2 million people is slightly smaller than the US state of New Jersey but has the world`s sixth-largest known oil reserves.

The Indian Embassy in Kuwait has established an emergency helpline number in the wake of the massive blaze that killed over 40 Indians. The Embassy in their social media post wrote, “In connection with the tragic fire accident involving Indian workers today, the Embassy has put in place an emergency helpline number: +965-65505246. All concerned are requested to connect over this helpline for updates. The embassy remains committed to rendering all possible assistance.”

A fire at an oil refinery in 2022 killed four people. 

With inputs from Associated Press



Disclaimer: This report is auto-generated from other news portal services. Realtimeindia holds no responsibility for its content.