Udhagamandalam: The Nilgiris district administration on Saturday conducted a function to mark the 236th birth anniversary of John Sullivan, the founder of modern Nilgiris.
At the function held at the Sullivan Memorial at Kannerimukku village in Kotagiri, Nilgiris collector M Aruna garlanded the bust of Sullivan. Earlier, Aruna garlanded the Sullivan’s bust on the Garden Road in Ooty as well.
Sullivan came to India in 1803 and became the collector of Coimbatore in 1817.
Born on June 15, 1788, Sullivan explored the Nilgiris in 1819 and laid the foundation stone for the modern Nilgiris.
Built in May 1819, John Sullivan’s bungalow was reconstructed as close to the original in 2002 by then district collector Supriya Sahu and declared a tourist centre. tnn

We also published the following articles recently

Andhra villagers name bridge after collector who got it built
A new bridge in Dr BR Ambedkar Konaseema district, Andhra Pradesh, named after district collector Himanshu Shukla, was constructed with grants including Rs 25lakh from MPLADS fund. The bridge, ‘Himanshu Shukla Rama Setu’, connects Lutukurru and Pasarlapudi villages.