With people usually seen flouting the “no mobile phone” advisory at petrol pumps, a recent incident in Maharashtra’s Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar is likely to compel all to pay heed to it.

In a viral video making rounds on social media, a man refueling his bike’s petrol tank is seen taking his phone out of the pocket to attend a call when suddenly, a fire erupts.

Also read: Several Indians killed in Kuwait apartment fire, devastating visuals show building go up in flames | Watch

Electromagnetic waves from mobile phones can reportedly induce current and generate an electric spark in nearby metal conductors, thereby causing a fire.

In this case, the fire is also believed to have been triggered by a spark from the phone, which is why phones are prohibited at petrol pumps.

Also read: Power outage in several parts of Delhi after fire in UP’s Mandola substation; Atishi says ‘extremely worrying’

In the viral video, a clip from the CCTV footage of the incident, a petrol pump attendant is seen reaching for the petrol hose, when the biker pulls out his mobile phone from the pocket, causing an instant fire in the tank.

The biker rushes the bike outside as the petrol pump staff use fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.

Notably, the cause of fire is not clear yet. However, the use to mobile phones raises a lot of concerns, especially today when most payments are made through phones online.

A 2016 report, in an attempt to promote digit transactions, had informed the Ministry of Natural Gas and Petroleum that it is “completely safe” to use mobile phones at petrol stations albeit at a certain height and distance from the pumps.

“We want to promote digital transactions and bust any myths about phone use being overtly dangerous at petrol pumps,” the Economic Times had quoted a senior government official.