NEW DELHI: A 13-year-old boy was apprehended for allegedly sending a bomb threat email targeting a flight scheduled from Delhi to Toronto on June 4. The boy allegedly sent the email “just for fun” to test if the authorities could trace him.
The email had triggered a full-scale security response at the Delhi airport. The aircraft, carrying 301 passengers and 16 crew members, was evacuated and taken to the isolation bay for security checks.“The email was eventually determined to be a hoax,” said deputy commissioner of police (airport) Usha Rangnani.
A team, led by inspector Vijender Rana, the station house officer of IGI Airport police station, was formed to investigate the incident. Despite initial challenges, relentless investigation and technical efforts led the team to Meerut in Uttar Pradesh and the boy was apprehended.
The boy confessed to his actions and revealed that he had got the idea from a news report about a bomb hoax at the Mumbai airport. He claimed that he wanted to see whether police could track him if he sent the email anonymously. He also admitted to creating a fake email ID on his mobile phone and using his mother’s mobile internet via Wi-Fi to send the hoax email. He had deleted the email ID immediately after sending the mail.
Two mobile phones, believed to be linked to the transmission of the hoax email, were seized by police. The boy was presented before the juvenile justice board and later released to his parents as per the board’s order.
Delhi Police has urged citizens to refrain from making hoax calls or emails for amusement, highlighting the serious consequences and potential imprisonment such actions can lead to.
Earlier this month, there was a bomb scare at IGI Airport for a flight bound from Varanasi to Delhi. A woman caller informed Delhi International Airport Limited’s security staff that her husband, who was arriving from Varanasi to Delhi on an IndiGo flight, was carrying a bomb in his handbag. Nothing suspicious was eventually found.
In another incident on May 28, a note reading “bomb blast at 5.30” was found in an aircraft’s lavatory and created chaos at IGIA, leading to the evacuation of all 176 passengers through emergency exits.