COIMBATORE: Two men were hospitalized after they consumed liquor and developed health complications at Manjanaickanur near Anaimalai here on Friday. Preliminary inquiry revealed that they had accidently used pesticide-mixed water to mix with liquor.
While the health condition of the duo is stable, police have admitted five others who consumed liquor with them on Thursday to hospital.
According to a police officer, C Mahendran, 40, and S Ravichandran, 55, of Manjanaickanur, consumed liquor on the premises of a tea shop in their locality around 8am on Friday. They developed diarrhoea in the afternoon and were admitted to the Pollachi government hospital. Later Ravichandran was shifted to a private hospital near SITRA and Mahendran to another private hospital at Avarampalayam.
Preliminary inquiry revealed that the duo had taken water from a vessel that was kept behind the tea shop to mix with liquor. “Someone had mixed phosphamidon, a pesticide, in the water. The duo were not aware about this. Blood samples were collected from the duo and the test results showed the presence of phosphamidon in them. We also collected water samples from the vessel and they also showed the presence of phosphamidon,” said a senior police officer.
He said some farmers in the village might have used the vessel to mix the pesticide with water or cleaned the sprayer in the water in the vessel after using the pesticide. “We have formed a special team to identify the people who mixed the pesticide in the water.”